Welcome! I’m Amber Helt, your future editor. It’s a pleasure to virtually meet you.
Rooted in Writing LLC is a full-service editorial company specializing in a wide array of genres and project types. From fiction to dissertations, me and my team help authors polish their hard work and prepare them for whatever lies ahead, whether that’s query letters, self publishing, or defending your thesis. I also offer writing coaching packages for those who need a little help getting their books started.
The art of writing is in many ways like a tree. I can wax all poetic about characters blossoming and gnarly plot branches, but I’ll spare you. Underneath the metaphor, writing is a skill more than a talent, and like any skill, the best way to improve is through practice, instruction, and feedback. If you create a strong foundation of knowledge and experience, your skill will grow. At Rooted in Writing, our team dedicates all of our editorial experience and passion to your manuscript, giving it the pruning, weeding, and nurturing it deserves.
We’re editors by profession, but writers by passion. Our mission is to help you root yourself in the craft of writing. With a strong foundation on the principles of excellent editing, we’re here to make your stories blossom.
What are the principles of excellent editing, you ask?
- A sharp focus on grammar,
- A refined and professionally-enhanced intuition on story structure,
- A holy reverence for the balance of deadlines and flexibility,
- An open mind to a writer’s creative spirit, and
- A voracious love of reading.
As editors, we care deeply about bringing each story up to its full potential. As writers, we’re interested in all the nuances of story creation and construction. We decided to bring these two passions together, offering our curiosity, love of learning, and sharp editorial eye at your feet. We dig deep and edit at the root of your project so your stories can grow tall.
We offer a variety of services to help you wherever you are in the writing process, from brainstorming your outline to proofing your eBook layout. Go to our editorial services page to learn more about what we can do for you.
Editing isn’t just a service, it’s a relationship between the author and the editor. Everyone has an ideal partner in mind for group projects, and since this is our about page, I thought I’d share what our team is looking for in our ideal client:
- Go-getters with the motivation to see their manuscript to completion.
- Disciplined writers who value and honor deadlines as much as we do.
- Lifelong students willing to receive honest feedback and ask bold questions.
In return, here’s a little bit about who we are as editors:
- Detail-oriented professionals who want to improve the writer as much as the writing itself.
- Team players who want to work with you to see your vision come to life. Communication is key to any successful relationship, and we want to be sure we’re building up your book, not changing it into our own. We’ll do whatever we can to ensure we’re on the same page, from cover to cover.
- Passionate word nerds with experience in all forms of publishing who love to dedicate all of their professional attention to the stories you have to tell. We’re blessed to say our passions and careers align.
“When you write a book, you spend day after day scanning and identifying the trees. When you’re done, you have to step back and look at the forest.”
— Stephen King, On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft